A fiery car crash may not only lead to external burn injuries that require months of treatment, but also internal, psychological injuries that may need years of therapy. Victims may wonder whether they ever will be able to work again or even adequately function in everyday activities.
They know that adjustments must be made, sometimes, all because a negligent driver was distracted, drunk, drugged or reckless. With these serious injuries, many types of adjustments are necessary, and many types of treatment await them.
Skin grafts, respiratory damage and PTSD
A person who sustains second- or third-degree burns to parts of their body may expect a long road to recovery. Scarring and disfigurement are possible. It may take months of costly treatment, including skin grafts, cosmetic surgery and reconstructive surgery.
But they face a number of other physical and mental health challenges that may include:
- Burns to the eyes: Scarring, blurred vision, blindness and infections are highly possible after cornea damage caused by burns.
- Respiratory damage: Smoke inhalation may cause significant damage to the respiratory system, damaging the airways, trachea and lungs.
- Shock: This may surface due to low blood pressure in the victim who is not getting an adequate amount of oxygenated blood. A person in shock may suffer from organ failure.
- Psychological trauma: Victims may experience post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), depression and anxiety, which could lead to years of treatment through a therapist. Severe trauma is difficult to overcome.
- The loss of a limb: While this is possible in extreme cases, it does not often occur from motor vehicle accidents. However, amputations may happen after victims suffer electrical burns.
With the right treatment and medical and psychological guidance, victims of burn injuries may be able to adapt and carry on with their lives. But it may take time.
The actions of negligent drivers can have a significant impact on the lives of any other driver and their passengers. A burn injury may be severe and life-changing. Mounting medical bills and lost wages are in store for victims. With the help of an experienced personal injury lawyer, burn victims can pursue the compensation they deserve.