You can file a claim after you're scarred or disfigured

Scarring and disfigurement aren't just physical injuries. They take a mental toll as well. Imagine knowing that you'll never look like you did before an accident. Maybe you're suffering from burns that cause you constant pain or have scarring that changes the color of large patches of your skin. Whatever the disfigurement is, it is painful physically and mentally.

Can you sue if you've been hurt and scarred or disfigured? Yes. The difficulty comes when asking if you can sue for scars that are a result of medical care provided after a crash. In New Jersey, for example, the courts determined that you could sue for noneconomic damages if the scarring or disfigurement was so severe that the individual would be considered imperfect, misshapen or unsightly.

If you have to have a surgery after a car accident and are left with a scar you want to sue for, the likelihood of being able to recover compensation comes down to three questions. First, did you know that there was a potential for scarring? Second, if you knew about the scarring, was the procedure medically necessary? Finally, if you knew the risks and had the surgery, are the scars unusual for this kind of operation?

Scarring that is from the car accident itself may also be something you can claim for. Keep track of your healing with photos, so you can show that your injuries are a direct result of the crash and healing process. It's important to get the compensation you need, so you can get better medical care and attention.

Source: FindLaw, "When Can You Sue for Scarring or Disfigurement?," Ephrat Livni, accessed Aug. 29, 2017

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

How can we help you?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Office location:

Boren & Boyd, PLC
114 S. Liberty St. Suite 100
Jackson, TN 38301

Toll Free: 800-727-0622
Phone: 731-300-6207
Phone: 731-423-3300
Fax: 731-423-2135
Jackson Law Office Map